Courtesy of Chicken Soup for the Soul.
Changing the World
One Story at a Time
TMI Project is a nonprofit transmedia organization teaching true storytelling workshops and creating inspiring live performances and bold digital content that focus on the “too much information” parts of a story, the parts typically left out because of shame or stigma. We believe that sharing radically candid, true personal narratives ignites human connection, challenges the status quo, and inspires both storytellers and listeners to take action for positive social change.
We do this by:
- Providing workshop participants skills needed to be captivating storytellers, regardless of background or experience.
- Creating media–videos, podcasts, documentaries, and written narratives–that bring diverse audiences together and amplify the voices of populations whose stories often go unheard.
- Centering our community outreach work around four social justice initiatives: Race, Gender, LGBTQ, and Mental Health.
- Casting a spotlight on emerging and veteran activists and leaders, to document the way they are changing the world, covering stories about challenges, hard work, and progress; stories that may not be recognized in history books but need to be heard and recorded for future generations.
- Partnering with schools, nonprofits, small businesses, and corporations to craft storytelling workshops and performances that meet their unique community and team-building goals.
Since 2010, TMI Project has led approximately 90 true storytelling workshops and staged live storytelling performances by more than 1,750 storytellers, which have been presented to audiences of nearly 50,000 people in schools, colleges, prisons, mental health clinics, theaters, community centers, and the United Nations.