Stories for Choice uses radically true stories that include the “TMI” parts we usually keep to ourselves because of fear, shame, stigma, or cultural expectation — to ignite human connection, challenge the status quo, and inspire storytellers and listeners alike to take action for true reproductive justice. Choice, as we see it, means access to safe reproductive healthcare for everyone, for any outcome they choose.
TMI Project Stories for Choice have specific required elements:
- It’s a true story about your experience with reproductive healthcare — or lack thereof — or any and all things related to reproductive justice. Stories do not have to be tragic, comical, or have a sad/ happy ending, though all of the above are fine — they simply have to be true.
- We encourage stories from all people and perspectives. LGBTQIA+, gender non-conforming people, two-spirited, straight/cis women and men — we want to hear from ALL of you!
- All stories are first-person stories. You, the writer, are the main character.
- You’re willing to be vulnerable and expose your humanity by including the “TMI” parts of your story — the parts we usually leave out because of shame, embarrassment, stigma, or cultural expectations.
- Your story is about an experience in which you went through some kind of transformation from beginning to end with tension in the middle that makes the listener want to keep listening.
All applicants chosen for the workshop and performance must commit to:
- Attend a weekly online ten-session TMI Project True Storytelling Workshop, Monday nights from 7-9 PM EST from November, 2021 – January, 2022 (with the exception of Martin Luther King Jr. Day).
- Have stories edited into TMI Project-style monologues by a trained workshop leader.
- Attend an online dress rehearsal on January 21 and perform on Zoom on January 22.
- Sign a release to allow us to use the audio and video recordings post-performance.
*** We will have a Spanish-speaking workshop leader and also encourage Spanish speakers to apply.
Still interested in applying? Great — we want to hear from you! Send us your application by September 15th. All chosen applicants will be notified by October 1st.